So, I've obviously been slacking on the food posts. I have no excuses. Except that I've been forgetting to take pictures. That and we had some confusion about when Lent ended. We went to our friend's on Monday night for dinner and she said it ended Palm Sunday. I was confused as I always knew/assumed Lent ended on Easter. Turns out, (based on wikipedia) that if you observe Lent by having a "feast day" on Sundays (where you get to indulge in whatever you're giving up) then Lent ends on Easter. However, if you don't have feast day and just go straight through, 40 days ends on Palm Sunday. Well, I never practiced "feast days" but I had figured I'd go till Easter. I was conflicted. Then I realized it's ok, my meat fast was just a personal discipline, not a serious spiritual issue and I had some ribs (that's what our friends were serving). But I stuck with my vegetarian meals the rest of the week and when I officially finally "broke" the fast today- with bacon at breakfast and ham and lamb (hey that rhymes!) at lunch...it was delicious.I always thought I could be a vegetarian and while this Lent taught me I
could, it also taught me that I don't want to. :) So, though I only have a few Josie pictures to share with you, I have linked to a few of the recipes I used this week below, in case anyone is still interested.
Chili Rubbed Salmon: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chili-rubbed-salmon-10000000659320/
This recipe is so very very simple but also so good. It's been a staple in our house for years. Josie even liked it (she's eating some salmon in the 2nd picture). Serve it with rice, quinoa, a green veggie, etc. We had it with some roasted potatoes and snap peas.
 |
| Standing. Like a boss. |
Lemon Parsley Pasta: http://www.dailygarnish.com/2013/03/lemon-parsley-pasta-salad.html
Also pretty easy and it was good. This is from another blog I frequently read and really enjoy. The author is a vegetarian and doesn't consume a lot of dairy and her more recent recipes reflect this. This pasta was good prepared as she directed but I got some of my Parmesan cheese on it from my salad and that made it even better. So I ate the leftovers that way!
 |
| Mmmm...Salmon and peas. So good! |
Blush Mac and Cheese: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blush-mac-cheese-tomatoes-50400000126831/
This was good. It was actually pretty yummy...unless you were really craving some real mac and cheese. This was yummy and more of a creamy tomato noodle dish instead of what I would call mac and cheese. So, good but a bit of a misnomer, in my opinion.
 |
| This thing is called a "sili squeeze". It's refillable pouch that I put a strawberry and basil smoothie in for her. She was a fan of the smoothie, though I apparently surprised her with the picture from the look on her face. |
And I can't remember our other meals, which means they must have been leftovers. Stay tuned...Josie turns 9 months tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment