Thursday, May 3, 2012

31 weeks

Baby
This week, Baby is over 16 inches long and weights about 3.3 pounds, about as heavy as 4 navel oranges. He or she can turn their head from side to side and is just working on plumping up. This week I've noticed a definite increase in movement or maybe it's just a change in movement. Now I can feel hard spots on my belly which I assume are the back and butt protruding out when baby moves. I've felt a couple of what I will call "elbow swings"- when the baby seems to roll an arm or leg around and the feeling is more of a wave then a kick.

Me
Well. This week hasn't really been my favorite. Sometimes I think we make promises, resolutions, etc and God just laughs. In prenatal yoga last week, during the mediation period, I was thinking about how I really am so grateful to be pregnant, despite the physical demands it puts on my body and I resolved to not complain as much about my symptoms. I felt so zen about it all. (HA!) And then my back decided to freak out. I really don't want to complain because pregnancy is a fantastic gift but the back pain I've experienced this week has been painful, frustrating and slightly debilitating. It got worse on Friday then proceeded to get a little worse over the weekend. On Sunday, when I walked Pais, I felt like I was walking with a limp because the left side of my lower back hurt each time I put my left foot down. It was difficult to put pants on because when I had to put my weight on my left leg (to put my right leg in the pants) I felt sharp back pains.

I actually started seeing a chiropractor last Thursday and today (1 week later) had my third appointment. After my appointment I felt better for a good part of the day but the pain seems to be returning. Sigh.

Luckily, Meg came to stay with me this past weekend and did a whole bunch of chores for me. She did my dishes, carried my laundry upstairs, carried my groceries, brought a 30 lb bag of dog food inside (Paisley was thankful), helped me give Pais her allergy shot (Pais was not thankful), and feed me fruit.

I also received my first "you're so big" comment tonight. It was like 3 insults and 1 compliment all rolled into a one minute conversation. I just wonder what some people are thinking when they open their mouths. Allow me to replay the scene for you. I'm at the ATM, depositing a  check.

Random Woman: That looks like it hurts [insult #1]
Me: Umm.....well my back hurts. But this (rubbing my belly) doesn't hurt at all.
RW: How far along are you?
Me: Almost 8 months. About two months to go.
RW: Oh my.. two months to go. You're so big. In your belly. [insult #2].
Me: Yeah. Two months. [blank stare]
RW: Well, wow it's all in your belly. You don't even look pregnant from behind [compliment #1...sort of].
Me: Some of my friends have said the same thing.
RW: Have they said the baby is going to be really big? [insult #3]
Me: No. They haven't made a guess as to it's birth weight yet.
RW: Well, my daughter was 10 pounds and I was three weeks overdue. Whew!
Me: [mentally punching her in the neck] Well, I'm hoping that isn't the case with me.
RW: [gives me a look that says it looks like it will be you] Well, good luck!

Yeah. I would just like to put in a little PSA here for anyone thinking anything similar to what was said to me above. The only appropriate thing to say to a pregnant woman regarding her appearance is: "you. look. great." Three little words. That's it. And never mention your own labor/deliver/newborn horror story. And the kicker to the whole conversation above is that I don't even think I look THAT big. What you see in the pictures is exactly what I looked like when I saw her today. Geez.

To end on a high note, I had another midwife appointment on Monday and everything is good. She said my weight is perfect for how many weeks I am and my belly is measuring appropriately (take that ATM lady). She also told me I have a "beautiful belly", which I took as a high compliment from someone who sees pregnant bellies all day long. :)

Preparing for Baby

This week, my friends Drew and Regina came over and helped me put together the dresser I bought at Ikea last week for the nursery. I think it looks great! I also finally decided on a couple pieces of bedding for the nursery and ordered the crib skirt and a crib sheet from a woman on Etsy. I also ordered an adorable print of a yellow lab to hang in the nursery.

Week 31
Chores my sister completed for me this past week: Countless
Packages received in the mail: 4! One gift, two online orders and flowers from Charlie :)
Weight gained: 24 pounds
Days till Charlie comes home: 7
Workouts: Swimming. And a couple VERY slow walks with Paisley. That's it because of my back...

No comments: