Thursday, March 29, 2012

26 weeks

Today I went to Costco and bought beer. For Charlie. But I felt like such a rebel. I swear a couple ladies gave me some dirty looks as I wheeled my giant cart towards the pharmacy to pick up Paisley's prescriptions. Then as I checked out an older gentleman told me I need to hold a needle on a string in front of my belly and depending on which way it swings, it will tell me whether the baby is a boy or girl. For the record he had three girls and it worked every time. I may try this for kicks just to see if it's right. Yesterday, our financial planner offered the services of a colleague who apparently does the Chinese Gender Predictor thingy. You can also do this online- I just did and it says "girl". We'll see in July! 
Pais and I at 26 weeks

So, all of the above information really has nothing to do with the fact that I'm 26 weeks pregnant but it all happened to me in the past two days so it's fresh in my mind (meaning I haven't forgotten it due to pregnancy brain). This week baby is supposedly 1 and 2/3 of a pound. Does that sound big to you? Cause it does to me...especially considering baby is all shoved up in my insides. I believe it too because each week the kicks and thumps are getting a little stronger. Still nothing that made me yell "ouch" but I'm assured that is coming.
This week baby is also busy "breathing" amniotic fluid and developing more sensitive nerves in his or her ears. Babycenter.com tells me he or she should be able to hear both my voice and Charlie's if we are having a conversation.

This week my main symptom has been heartburn/acid reflux. I know I mentioned it last week but it has definitely continued on a regular basis. Ugh. I don't think it's heartburn, it feels more like acid reflux. I never get that burn in my chest, it's more like an uncomfortable acid feeling in the back of my throat that is sometimes painful. I've been taking Tums occasionally but I don't want to over do it so I've also been cutting back on foods that are known to cause acid issues such as spicy foods, citrus, and fatty foods. This kind of stinks because I really like slightly spicy food and both orange juice and grapefruits have been at the top of my "food I enjoy" list. I really hope this doesn't turn into regular heartburn because this alone is uncomfortable and annoying.

I've also started thinking this week that it might be time to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor. Nothing really hurts but occasionally my hip/butt area will twinge and I get stiff at the end of the day if I've been sitting for a while.

Pais is no longer interested. Please ignore the forest of weeds in our front yard.
This past weekend, I drove up to Lancaster for my friend Erin's baby shower. Erin lived on my floor my sophomore year and is part of my group of "C1st" girlfriends (C1st was the name of the floor we lived on). It's always so fun when we all (or some of us) get together- and we've had many opportunities to do so over the last few months and in the few to come. Three of us recently had babies and four of us are currently pregnant. The babies will range from being born in November 2011 to August 2012. Erin is next- she is due towards the end of April! Then it's my turn (!!!) and next is Lori who is due later in July (20 days after me).

Me, Erin and Lori
In addition, both Erin and Tina are getting married in the next couple months. Whew! Below is a picture of those of us who could make it to the shower. Across the back: Tina, Jess and her daughter Hannah (who was born in November), Erin, Lori. In front: me, Emily and her daughter Greta (who was born at the end of January).


Week 26:

Baby purchases: Some natural baby lotion and cream and two gender neutral onsies I found at Old Navy for about $7 total. Also paid for a breastfeeding class that will take place in May.

Weeks until my glucose test: 2

How I'm feeling about getting the nursery in order: Slightly overwhelmed

Number of birth classes left: 1 (I'm so going to miss our Bradley Method Instructor and classmates!)

No comments: