First, Charlie felt the baby move for the first time! Yeah! We were at our birth class, which is a small, intimate class that includes our instructor, her husband, another couple and a single mom-to-be and I began feeling a lot of kicks. As Valerie, our instructor talked, I kept feeling the kicks and put my hand on the lower part of my belly to see if I could feel them from the outside too. You'd think this would be easy to tell. It is not. Your mind plays tricks on you! However, I was pretty sure I could feel some kicks on the outside so I took Charlie's hand and put it on my belly. Previously, he would often feels my pulse and ask if that is the baby. He asked again and I told him no, but just to keep his hand there. Then, all of a sudden baby gave me swift kick to the gut and he felt it! His face lit up and he said "whoa!". Valerie noticed and we told everyone that it was the first time Charlie had felt the baby. Little cheers all around...another reason I really enjoy our birth class!
Second, we got a call that our crib is in. Holy crap! We ordered it at the end of January because the specific brand we wanted was having a sale and I had read that some cribs can take as long as 12-14 weeks to come in. Well, no problems with that. Now we just need a place to put it. See the previous update for the status of the so-called nursery.
I finished my crappy assignment in DC last Thursday and am so glad to be done and back to working from home.
I feel the baby everyday now- sometimes it just little movements and other times it feels like he or she is doing little boxing punches on the lower part of my abdomen. This usually results in a need to pee.
I finished my crappy assignment in DC last Thursday and am so glad to be done and back to working from home.
I feel the baby everyday now- sometimes it just little movements and other times it feels like he or she is doing little boxing punches on the lower part of my abdomen. This usually results in a need to pee.
| Can't deny the belly now! |
Possibly related to my cold, I haven't been sleeping well this week. The first 4-5 hours is great but then I wake up a few times after that and am not able to go back to sleep as easily. I'm thinking it might be time to order a pregnancy pillow to increase my comfort. Sleep and I have a very special relationship and I knew this pillow was a must-purchase for me even before I got pregnant. And before you say it, I KNOW that I will not be getting as much sleep when the baby arrives (all the more reason to enjoy my sleep now). Though I have not experienced the sleep deprivation that can come with a newborn, I do feel I have somewhat realistic expectations as I have been around babies/kids much of my adult life and I continue to read anything and everything about other's experiences. (I'm sure I will laugh at this statement in a few months when we are experiencing the first few weeks but there is only so much you can know before you go through something yourself). Probably my number one pet peeve related to pregnancy that people say to me is "sleep now because you'll never sleep again!! HA HA HA!". Like they are getting a little bit of sick joy out of the fact that you may be experiencing serious sleep deprivation in the near future. AND?! If anyone has figured out how who to "bank" sleep, let me know because I'd like to get in on the ground floor on that idea. So touch my belly all you want, just don't tell me to "sleep now".
Phew. Sorry for the rant. We'll chalk that up to hormones. The final thing going on this past week was Charlie and I attended a cloth diapering 101 session. I had actually attended another 101 session the weekend before and as soon as I got there, I realized I should have brought Charlie. I have been doing research on cloth diapers for a few months now but he knew only the (very) brief overview I had given him in the car one day. (Seriously, I think you could get a college degree in cloth diapers, there is so much information out there). So, he agreed to attend the next week's session and I got a double dose of info. It was well worth it though because I think I've finally figured out a plan of at least how we will begin to diaper and some items we can put on the registry related to it. I know, some of you are thinking "I am NOT buying diapers for them" but seriously, wait till you see how cute they are. And, if you're picturing pins and rubber pants...things have come a long way. Here's an example:
Maybe I'll write a later post about cloth diapering and our decision to do it. I promise it's not that gross (at least no grosser than what you find using disposables. Same poop, different diaper!) and it's not that weird!
Week 23:
Cravings and Aversions: Nothing has really changed eating-wise. I feel like my eating is most like it was prior to getting pregnant but with a few more sweets added in. Grapefruit has been a craving throughout my pregnancy and made an appearance this week.
Projects for this weekend: make a dent in the nursery.
Exercise this week: Daily walks with Paisley, weights at the gym and finally my (triumphant?) return to Zumba! Next week starts prenatal yoga, which I can't wait for. My whole body feels tight.
How I feel: Tired. (related to the not sleeping well mentioned earlier probably combined with my return to regular exercise) Excited. (about progressing in my pregnancy and getting closer to meeting our baby).
What I'm loving: feeling the baby move at different points during the day.

No comments:
Post a Comment