Thursday, February 16, 2012

20 weeks

Woohoo...halfway there! Today I'm 20 weeks pregnant. I can't believe this pregnancy is halfway over, yet at the same time I also feel like "finally!". I'm not wishing my pregnancy away but I'm excited to get to the part of where I feel more bonded to my baby. Up until this point, I have known I'm pregnant and have had many symptoms but it is more difficult to connect with someone you cannot see or feel. (this sounds like an analogy for God. Alas, this is not where I'm going with this.)

Just today I think I've been feeling more movement. I say "think" because I am 95% sure that is what I feel because there is really no other explanation but but I've never done this before so I'm still a little unsure. It doesn't feel like a kick yet, more like gurglings accompanied by some pressure. Do you see why it is often compared to gas?! :)

Each day I am still surprised by how big my tummy is. I still pull my regular shirts on and then think "woah this is tight!". And when I see myself in the mirror I am often surprised at first. I don't feel big, although I am noticing it is getting harder to get up from lying on my back and bending over while sitting is proving somewhat difficult. I had to pick up my cell phone off the floor today at work while in a chair and I had to do a couple "warm up" bends before I finally reached my phone.

Speaking of work, this was supposed to be my last week at the assignment downtown (which I do not enjoy). Unfortunately, my time has been extended by two weeks because the person taking over for me cannot start until then. However, I only have to go in for 3 days a week over the next two weeks instead of the full 5, which is better. Though I'm still counting down the days until I'm back working from home full time. I also learned this past week that I can no longer ride the bus into DC. I am fine in the morning but in the afternoon it makes me sick. I'll spare you the gory details but let's just say I had an "incident" the last two times I rode the bus and decided I will no longer be doing that. So instead I'm driving to a metro and taking the train. Oddly enough this does not bother me as much as the bus, though it is still not super pleasant (oh the smells!).
Disclaimer: this is right after dinner. :)
I feel like I can smell everything now. I know this is often noted as one of the first symptoms of pregnancy but I think my sense of smell has become more heightened during the 2nd trimester. I swear someone on the other side of the giant office space had tuna fish the other day and it made me gag. And don't even dare *think* about burn popcorn in the building. I will hunt you down. Charlie and I went out to dinner on Valentine's Day and all I could smell where hot dogs (for the record, they do not serve hot dogs at Sweetwater Tavern).

Lastly, I finally made it to the gym yesterday after a 4(?) week hiatus. Between traveling to Massachusetts, getting sick, remaining sick and working in DC, I haven't had time to exercise aside from walking Paisley. I have definitely noticed a difference not having time to exercise and at our midwife appointment on Tuesday, I was not surprised to learn I had put on a few pounds. I'm still in the normal weight gain (11 lbs total) but I can tell that the lack of exercise (combined with my lack of disciplined eating) will catch up with me. So I drug my tired butt to the gym after work yesterday (I also had an assignment from my physical therapist to run) and it felt amazing to exercise beyond walking again. I definitely missed it and cannot wait until I am able to return to my normal 3-4 days of regular exercise once this assignment is over. I'm still really looking forward to starting prenatal yoga!

Highlights from Week 20:
  • Baby weighs 10 ounces and is as long as a banana! 
  • In the next 10 weeks, Baby will grow from 10 ounces to 3 pounds. Holy growth spurt!
  • Baby can now hear sounds both inside and outside the womb. Now I can justify some of the talking to myself that I do. Huzzah!
  • Times I have gotten sick in the last week: 3 (I thought the first trimester was over?!)
  • Cravings: A Dunkin Donuts chocolate heart doughnut. I am a victim of the convincing radio ads!
  • Aversions: Still the bus.
  • Registries started: Two
  • Pairs of maternity jeans I own that are comfortable: Zero. There is shopping in my future this weekend.
  • Baby Items Purchased: two cloth diapers that were on sale with good reviews on babysteals.com

No comments: