Monday, March 22, 2010

Because I can

I almost didn't post this because I know no one comes here to read my thoughts about politics. However, this is the stuff that gets me fired up and illustrates some of the reasons why I'm getting a Masters degree in macro social work. If you would rather not read about my politics today, just skip this post and wait for the next one. (no promises on when that will be!)

If you know me, you know that I lean to the left on most issues. (for those not versed in political jargon- that's Democrat). I should also make a disclaimer here that this post contains purely my thoughts. Charlie and I do not see eye to eye on politics and he doesn't care about the "nitty gritty" as much as I do. Which is fine because our marriage is based on way more important things than politics.

Yesterday, Congress passed historic health care legislation which will create almost universal health coverage in our country.

Today, my facebook feed and the news has been filled with cries from many with conservative leanings of the impending doom that is sure to befall us all since Congress decided that yes, all people should have access to health care regardless of their ability to pay the exhorbantly high premiums. I don't think this bill is perfect or that it isn't lacking many things. I do agree that every American should have access to health insurance that allows them to get treatment when they and their family are sick and offers preventative measures to increase the chance that getting sick doesn't happen.

Now, my gripe with the conservative side of the issue is that those who I hear speaking out against universal health care happen to be those who live comfortably with private insurance, subsidized by their employers and who most likely have not experienced a health crisis that they could not pay for. Those who are complaining the most about the bill are the ones who are least likely to be effected by it- those with affordable private insurance. And I am the first to admit that I fall into this category (of having affordable private insurance). But there are many others who don't. And I believe that it is our country's job to ensure that all Americans have the ability to lead healthly, productive lives. Health care should not be a luxury available only to those who can pay high premiums. As many have unfortunately found out, insurance corporations do not have hearts. (though they should!) They do not care if you need cancer treatment but can't afford the $250,000 price tag that comes with it. They are corporations and care about the bottom line. They are not going to make coverage more affordable on their own.

Additionally, the government already operates two health care systems. They are called Medicare and Medicaid. If you are over the age of 65 you are covered by Medicare. If you are low-income then you are covered by Medicaid (though there is a huge gap many fall into between those who qualify for Medicaid and those who can pay for private insurance). Both systems have been successful in providing needed health care to two groups who cannot afford it. Medicare, the program even affluent seniors folks may be on, has done much to raise seniors out of poverty. Previous to its enactment, many older Americans entered poverty because of climbing medical bills as they aged. I am not saying these systems are flawless, far from it. However, they achieve their goal of offering medical care to those who need it. This is a fact I think many overlook, even those older "tea partyers" who are most likely on Medicare themselves.

My basic point is that I do not think this bill is perfect (I think there should be a public opinion but am not sure that forcing people to get coverage is necessarily the way to go) but I do think that all Americans deserve safe, decent, affordable health care regardless of their income level or health status. I am happy to see that this bill would actually lower the national deficit (http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/113xx/doc11355/hr4872.pdf) not expand it. I am glad to know that should Charlie lose our health coverage through his employer (I do not receive coverage now as I am very part time), we would have the option of federal assistance. And I would use the federal safety net if we needed it.

And I do not think our democracy is ending.

~KC

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! I didn't know You really cared,However, Do write about the More Happier times in You and charlie's Life, and the Dog too!

Katie said...

Dad- social policy is what I'm studying and working on in school and at my internship. :) Don't worry, the next post will actually be about out lives.