Saturday, June 2, 2012

35 weeks

Baby
The baby doesn't have much room to maneuver now that he or she is over 18 inches long and is about at 5 pounds (honeydew is the fruit of the week now). The kidneys are fully developed now, and the liver can process some waste products. Most of the basic physical development is now complete, the next few weeks will be spent putting on weight.

Me
I forgot to include this in last week's post- one weird symptom I've been having is that my hands start to get the tingly "going numb" feeling when I'm either sleeping or occasionally when I'm using the mouse on my laptop. I forgot to mention it at my last midwife appointment but I'm not too concerned. Swelling, carpel tunnel, and other joint weirdness are all common during pregnancy and though seems like none of those things, it seems close enough that I'm not worried. Plus, I mentioned it to Anna and she said she experienced the same thing and the midwives said it was fine. One of the bonuses to having close friends who had done this stuff before you, saves me a phone call to the midwives!

Riding on the wagon to the strawberry patch!
I'm still feeling fairly good and last Friday I went strawberry picking with Anna and Shelby. This provided ample opportunity for squatting (to pick the berries), one of the recommended exercises to prepare for birth.  Plus, yummy local strawberries to eat. Mmmmm.

So tall!

Does this medal make my coat look fluffy?
On Saturday morning, Charlie ran the 10K that takes place in our neighborhood each year and Paisley and I walked the one mile "fun run". It was nice to be able to participate in a "race", even if we were towards the back with all the little kids walking with their parents :). Plus we got Chick-fil-a at the end (they sponsored the race along with our local fire department). We even got a finisher medal which Paisy is proudly displaying in the picture to the left. The best part about the medal? For some reason, Charlie didn't get one for running the 10K but we got one for walking the fun run. We paid less money, did less work and got better "swag". I did have a few people who thought I ran the 10K. HA! I quickly corrected them. The 10K (6.2 miles) would have been a challenge for me  BEFORE I got pregnant (I'm more a 5K girl myself) let alone at 34 weeks pregnant in 85 degree heat and 100% humidity. Pshaw. I'm here for a little walking exercise, the t-shirt and the free chicken sandwich, people.

Why no, I did not run the 10K thankyouverymuch

I actually DID run the 10K
Otherwise, I feel pretty good. The back pain hasn't returned and although I'm still getting the "butt cramps" (seriously what ARE those?!) they're fleeting and manageable. I am starting to feel the reality that I only have 5 weeks left until my due date. All those books I've been meaning to read? Projects I've been meaning to finish? Yeah, those need to get done. Like yesterday. Poor Charlie. Man has a honey-do list a mile long.

Preparing for Baby
We're continuing to slowly but surely organize the nursery and get things set up.
We're also simultaneously trying to empty our freezers (we have a small rectangular chest freezer in the garage- best $50 ever spent on craigslist!) while also trying to fill them up again with prepared meals and other "convienance items". This week I made homemade hamburger buns and cooked some organic black beans and froze both. Not together. I also froze some of the strawberries I picked for smoothies, though these might not make it to Baby's birthday. I also baked some whole wheat banana bread with the intention of freezing half but Charlie and I (ok, mostly me) have plowed through 1/2 the loaf in a 12 hour time period so that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

We're talking names more often now. Still waffling for the most part. I don't know how some people know the name as soon as they find out they're pregnant (or before). Not only are there so many options but I find myself liking a name a lot at first and then as I mull it over for about a week, I like it less and less, as I get sick of thinking about it. Hope little No-name Caldwell will understand and forgive his or her mother's complete indecisiveness.

Week 35
Things I never thought I'd look forward to: Receiving my breast pump in the mail. Receiving cloth diapers in the mail. I'm so excited to cloth diaper this child. Never knew I'd get so into something that will catch my child's poo.

Excited about: Our babymoon this weekend! We're heading to Chincoteague Island in Virginia for a stay at a bed and breakfast. Our last little getaway before baby's arrival. Well, one more trip to PA for Tina's wedding in two weeks but that's not exactly the same thing.

Next Midwife Appointment: Thursday, then we go to once a week...eekk!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Can't believe you are almost to the end already!!! I'm super excited for you. I was always excited for friends who were pregnant, but now that I've gone through it I'm even more excited!!! Glad you are still feeling well. I always felt bad for the women who were sick the entire time. Some days I miss being pregnant a little bit. Hope you guys enjoyed the babymoon! I can't wait to see you in just a few weeks! Oh, and don't worry about the name thing. Dave was coming up with names as I was in labor, and Hannah was nameless for a few hours. We had it narrowed down to a few, and it was kind of fun to look at her and ask, "Are you a this, or a this?" and hope for some kind of reaction. I think it's easier to name your child when you see your child, but everyone feels differently!