Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Phoenix

I'm sitting in the airport in Phoenix, waiting to board a flight home to DC. I've been here since Sunday for a work event and on Monday night Charlie joined me for two nights. He had a ridiculous time getting to Phoenix (missed his connection in Houston) and got in later than we had planned. Boo Houston airport.

Anywho, some thoughts on Phoenix. Anyone who tells you it's a "dry heat" out here is just trying to make you feel better as you sweat through your second shirt of the day. 105 degrees is hot no matter how you slice it. Hot doesn't really do it justice. I would more readily describe it as a visit to the sun, if the sun were made of concrete surrounded by desert. When I landed at the airport at 9:30 PM, the pilot said "Welcome to Phoenix, where the current temperature is 105 degrees!". Did I mention it was nighttime?!

After I accepted how hot it is here, I began enjoying myself. I was here for a Tribal meeting and I really enjoy working with the tribes. I feel that in general, the Native Americans I work with are much friendlier than their state counterparts and I really enjoy learning about their culture and how we can help them deal with their unique issues related to their community. During my free time I spent much of my time in Scottsdale, visiting the mall, eating and finding a self-serve yogurt joint (a la Sweet Frog for those in the Southern VA area).

After the meeting ended yesterday, Charlie and I had an ambious agenda for our afternoon/evening in Phoenix. We started by going to the Desert Botanical Gardens, which, b/c if was the 2nd tuesday of the month, happened to be free! Woohoo! And I'm glad it was free because although it was very beautiful, I was ready to head back to the air conditioned rental car after 1/2 hour. What can I say, I'm not built for heat.

Then we went and checked into our hotel for the night- the Firesky Resort (a Kimpton!) , took a dip in the pool and had a complimentary margarita (or 2, but who's counting?!). We then went to dinner at an organic burger joint which is a nice compromise for a organic loving girl and meat needing man. Finally, we when to an Arizona Diamondbacks game, to cross another stadium off Charlie's list. At the game- he caught a fly ball- something he has never done before. He was so pumped!
And now they're boarding. Gotta run...Phoenix was fun, but I'm ready to be home!

~KC


No comments: