Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Disaster Otherwise Known as our Christmas Tree

It all started innocently enough. Our normal tree farm closed after last year and we needed to find another one that allowed us to bring Paisley and didn't charge $90 for a tree (I jest not- a number of farms in our area were charging this much for a tree you CUT DOWN YOURSELF. They apparently also cure cancer.) We packed up Paisley, took my sister and went to find a tree to keep our TV company in our living room. When we arrived at the new farm the owners were very nice and helpful but I couldn't help but notice that they didn't have one of those "tree shakers" to shake all the dead needles and bugs out of the tree.


Fast forward: we get it home, follow all instructions by making a fresh cut before putting it in water. We decorate it, admire it, water it VERY consistently.



After a couple days we notice it drops needles more than our tree last year. We water it more. It continues to drop needles at an exponential rate. It also has a couple small spiders living in it who make cobwebs all over it.


We decide the tree hates us. It has some vendetta to settle and does so by dropping needles when you're not even close to it. You look at that tree wrong and it drops a pile. And accidently touching it? Forget about it.



By the time we leave for PA I'm ready for the tree to meet it's maker. However, once we get back we realize we need to wait until our tree trash pick up day. This occurred on Monday. So Sunday night we gleefully get ready to banish this tree from our house. Upon coming back from PA, we find the tree was not excited to be left alone for 5 days and has displayed its displeasure.


Note the ornament on the ground.



I begin taking ornaments off and it continues to rebel. By the time all the lights and ornaments are off there are enough needles on the carpet for a couple woodland creatures to make a comfortable home.






Charlie picks up the tree and procedures to carry it to the front door.

Worst. Idea. Ever.





Upon finally shoving the tree through our front door, it is completely NAKED.


Bare.


Not a single needle left on it. But our living room floor?! Yes, completely green instead of the nice neutral tan it usually is.





Ridiculous naked tree



The needles were so deep in some places that I used a dust pan and brush before going at it with the vacuum cleaner. In which we filled an entire bag with needles (and of course a little bit of Paisy hair).

I have always proclaimed that I will never buy a fake tree because in PA we cut our own down. Fake trees are for sissies. Plus, they don't smell nice. This tree experience challenged my deeply held love of real trees and made me reevaluate my thoughts on fake trees. The experience has not completely tarnished my desire for a real tree and we will still get one next year. However another tree like this could push me over the edge.

Needless to say we will not be going back to that tree farm next year.


~KC

2 comments:

A said...

Oh my gosh!!! I'm so sorry-- but this is hilarious!!

Unknown said...

Kate, I ditto That was one of the ' Best ' story's you've written yet! I think Charlie really shook all those needles off outside! That was Funny!!