So I am currently sitting here in the Burlington, VT airport waiting for a colleague to arrive whose flight is late and I have nothing I particularly want to do on my computer, so I figured I'd update the blog. You know, for those two faithful readers out there (Hi Dad, Hi Kristin).
This past week Charlie has started a new rotation (job) at the 5 sided building in our area (think, think- what building does she MEAN!?!), much against his wishes. He is still employed by the government but his "leadership" at his original agency thought this rotation (it lasts for a year) would be good for his career development. To but it mildly, he does not feel it is helpful to his career at all. The duties of the rotation are not very mentally stimulating and are nothing like what he has been doing for the past 4 years, which he had loved.
In my opinion, the thing that stinks the most about the whole shebang is the schedule. We are three days into it and I can say that I'm not a huge fan. The schedule changes weekly, on a 5 week cycle. The first week (this week) Charlie works "days". Days is apparently code for "incredibly early in the morning". He has to be there at 5am but gets off at 1pm. So this week he's been getting up at 3am. Ugh. It is nice to have him home when I come home but I feel like I have a kindergartner as I say goodnight to him at 7pm. :)
Oh well, next week the schedule will be "swings" which means 1pm till 9pm. Hopefully not as bad- no waking up at an ungodly hour. After that are overnights or "mids". (I have now been indoctrinated with the shift work lingo). This entails a 9pm to 5am deal for the work week and then (wait there's more!) working overnight for 12 hours on Saturday and Sunday. The next week, Charlie has "admin" hours which means he can do in whenever so he reaches his 40 hours a week. Next up, another weekend to work this time during the day for 12 hours. Another admin week and then the whole thing starts all over again. I know, I can't follow it either. I still have to consult my "cheat sheet" that Charlie gave me with his schedule on it for the next year. We are trusting that God has plan in sending Charlie on this rotation and the he will be blessed somehow through the experience.
There are a few blessings hidden in this experience...Charlie is compensated with a shift differential pay when he is scheduled to work hours outside the normal 7am-6pm realm. so there will be a little more in his paycheck most weeks. Paisley does seem to mind this deal either as she is not home alone as long now.
Well, that's all for now, my colleague's flight is about to arrive. Signing off from Vermont! And just cause she's so awesome- ( and I have no other relevant pictures to post) here are a couple shots of Paisley playing in the snow last month.
~KC
2 comments:
Hehe... I'm a faithful reader. You just don't update enough! :) Sounds like Charlie's new work schedule will definitely sounds rough. I hope it all works out in the end for the 3 of you though.
i too am a faithful reader. You were in our general vicinity! :) B was just in Burlington last weekend! Too bad it is still like, 4 hrs away.
Your post made me giggle (5 sided building... I love you!!)
Post a Comment